Setting the standard for service
and products for oil tank installations in Massachusetts
Whether you need
to replace an old
oil tank, or install
one in a new home
or business, CommTank
has the knowledge,
experience and high-quality
looking for in oil
is performed by a
crew of courteous
technicians who are
to answer all your
CommTank’s approach to oil tank installations
- We’ll visit
your home or business
to measure the space
where the new oil
tank will be installed.
- We’ll check
the distance from
the proposed location
to both the burner
and to the fill
and vent pipe.
- For aboveground
make sure the floor
under the proposed
oil tank location
- We’ll deliver
your new tank, steel
vent and fill pipe,
and copper lines
- We’ll install
the tank, pitching
it forward slightly
to prevent buildup
of sludge in your
tank – limiting
the number of service
- We’ll install
six-inch steel legs
with flanges at
the foot of the
tank for optimum
- We’ll add
a shutoff valve
before the oil filter,
so your filter or
burner can be isolated
while the technician
works on it during
- To complete the
paint the exposed
pipes so they are
protected from the
We stand behind our work and our products
Advances in technology have resulted in the manufacture of tanks
made from corrosion-resistant materials, such as fiberglass. Properly
installed and maintained, today’s average oil tank can last
as long as 50 years.
When you choose CommTank for oil tank installations, you know you’re
going to get the best service, the best products and the best warranties.
Because we never want you to worry about your oil tank. It’s
that simple. CommTank offers a labor warranty that’s unique
in the industry – a two-year warranty that starts on the day
of installation. And we give you access to some of the best tank
manufacturers in the business: Roth and Granby.
- Roth tanks have a blow-molded seamless inner tank of high-density
polyethylene, which is absolutely leak-proof and corrosion-resistant.
The outer tank is made of galvanized steel, lock seamed and sealed
with an oil and fire-resistant seal. The outer tank protects the
inner tank, and offers secondary containment should the inner
tank fail. Roth tanks feature a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty
on parts and equipment.
- Granby tanks are time-tested and offer ultra-high performance,
featuring proven steel construction with cutting-edge polyurethane-based
coating to protect against corrosion and leaks. Granby tanks offer
a manufacturer’s warranty on parts and equipment from the
date of installation that varies from 10 to 25 years, depending
on the model.
Thinking about buying your own tank at a home supply store? Store-bought
tanks often don’t last as long (under 10 years) and some tanks
are not up to code, so be sure to do your research. We’ll
be glad to help determine the best tank for your needs.
Some important regulations you should know about
Massachusetts’ regulations require the following for aboveground oil tank installations:
- Residential Tank Installation Codes - Indoors and Outdoors
- The tank be installed no closer than five feet from the oil burner, furnace, or boiler, and no closer than two feet from an electrical source.
- The tank’s fill and vent pipe be installed no closer than two feet from a window or doorway so that oil fumes will not enter a home. As an alternative, CommTank can install a firewall, which may be the only option if your basement or utility room is very small.
- The tank be placed at least 15 feet from a sump pump because drips from a filter or leaks that occur during servicing of the tank and burner may enter the groundwater through the sump pit.
- A four-inch thick concrete pad is built to hold the tank. In basements, we recommend three-inch thick concrete floors.
Call CommTank at 800-628-8260 for expert oil tank installations in Massachusetts