We clean fuel oil tanks of various sizes from tanks in residential settings to those in large fuel distribution facilities. Fuel tanks are entered and cleaned for preventative maintenance, removal of built-up sludge, and during decommissioning of fuel tanks at gasoline stations, manufacturing facilities, DPW and others.
Tank operators often have complaints of slow fuel delivery, which can be caused by clogged filters. Although they can easily be replaced, a faulty filter suggests that the existing fuel in the tank is contaminated. Replacing the filter is a temporary fix until the next delivery. When the tank’s oil is replenished, the sediment is mixed in with the new fuel. The contaminated fuel is then pumped through the filter, initiating an unnecessary cycle that could have easily been avoided with routine (or periodic) tank cleaning.
Tank cleaning is an environmentally friendly process that will preserve your tank’s sustainability long term. Future problems associated with the tank are certainly reduced, damaged, worn or aging tanks or components can be identified before failure and CommTank ensures that the cleaner fuel will remain uncontaminated for quite some time.
CommTank’s approach to oil tank cleaning
- Prepare a confined space entry permit and health & safety plan
- Open the manways located on top of the storage tank
- Transfer usable fuel to existing online tank or trucks standing by
- Purge gases from the tank and test for flammable vapors in accordance with NFPA and all other applicable regulations
- Enter the tank, remove tank bottom sludge with a vacuum truck, and manually clean inner-tank walls
- Transport and dispose non-pumpable tank bottoms
- Wipe inner tank walls with absorption pads to remove residual fluids (washing tanks with water creates additional waste that is costly to dispose of)
- Perform visual inspection and photograph interior of tank, make note of signs of damage, wear to the tank or signs of aging components
- Pump re-usable fuel back into tanks
- Re-install manways
- Remaining sludge and non-reusable fuel is transported to a licensed recycling facility for proper disposal
In addition to fuel tanks, CommTank provides cleaning of tanks used in the food and chemical industries. We use either manual cleaning or water jet depending on the size of access points to the tank. CommTank also provides cleaning services for vessels and totes. When we cannot physically enter a tank to clean it we use steam cleaner pressure washers, which clean 50% faster than cold-water pressure washers. Our chemical tank cleaning service using water jets is efficient, and safer than subjecting workers to confined spaces with caustic chemicals.
Tank Cleaning Services for:
- Chemical Storage Tanks
- Fire Suppression Tanks
- Linen Wash Tanks
- Food Storage Tanks
Tank cleaning can also be part of a vertical tank inspection. Customers request this service because they have no way to visually inspect the exterior of the tank’s bottom. In order to access the base of the tank we will remove the contents of the tank, clean any residue or sediment, and then measure the tank bottom thickness using an ultrasonic test device.
Call us to discuss your site-specific requirements. All tank cleaning services are performed to API 653 or STI SP001 tank inspection standards.