Tank Lining Service
Our tank lining service is a cost effective way to restore a storage tank that has interior corrosion with minimal downtime. We offer this repair process for both underground and aboveground tanks and our tank lining service is performed to standards specified by the American Petroleum
Institute (API) 1631 and National Leak Prevention Association (NLPA) 631. These standards stipulate minimum requirements for the interior lining of existing steel and fiberglass reinforced plastic underground tanks and periodic inspection of steel underground tanks used for the storage of
For most tank repairs we recommend the Chemliner 4000 because it is a high solids, novolac epoxy lining. This product is self-priming and is applied to steel surfaces. It has excellent chemical resistance against jet fuel, wastewater, seawater, salt brine, sulfide gas, acid solutions, strong
alkali solutions and many solvents. The high cross-link density of the product makes it suitable for immersion service in aggressive environments.
As part of the evaluation of your tank we measure the thickness of your tanks steel to verify the structural integrity. This measurement is done using our ultrasonic thickness gauge, which has a resolution of .001 inch. Once the integrity requirements are met for the lining process the
tank is prepared and the coating is installed. Below is a summary of the surface preparation for steel tanks:
Steel Tank Surface Preparation
- Remove all foreign materials such as oil and grease with solvents or other degreasing compounds.
- All scaling and rust must also be removed mechanically by sanding, sandblasting, or abrasion.
- Treat the blasted/abraded surface with a phosphoric acid solution as described below in order to prevent rust formation if the surface is left exposed for some time prior to application of the resin system.
- Where immersion service is required, the coating is spark tested with a 5,000-volt AC spark tester. Any pinholes found during the test are marked, recoated, and retested.
- A coating thickness gauge is then used to verify that the target thickness was achieved and meets the manufacturers specification.
Our tank lining process can be used to restore petroleum, chemical, food processing, and water storage tanks. We are an experienced coating contractor with 17 years in the business so you are assured that we stand behind our warranty. We also offer a reinforced nonvolac epoxy lining 1/8"
(3.17mm), flake filled vinyl ester coating 30-40 MILS (1.0 mm), and a flake glass filled, 100% solids, high performance, multi-functional epoxy coating, 30-40 MILS (1.0mm). So if you need a light, medium or heavy duty lining for your tank application, we have a solution for you.
Contact us today to discuss how CommTank can protect your tank investment and to schedule a tank relining: 1-800-628-8260