Kevin Hoag founded CommTank in 1994 with a single employee, a truck fitted with a swivel hoist and one simple philosophy: Business thrives when you build strong customer relationships. Twenty years later, this same focus on customer loyalty and satisfaction drives our team of service professionals and oil tank experts operating out of the 60,000-square-foot CommTank headquarters in Wakefield, Massachusetts.
We’ve come a long way since our humble beginnings in Somerville. Back then, Kevin removed home heating oil tanks by day and promoted business door-to-door by night while his grandmother, Margaret Trane, volunteered as a customer service representative.
Today, CommTank services over 32,000 commercial and residential customers with a team of twenty-five field technicians, fourteen office professionals and a fleet of thirteen service trucks. Our services extend far beyond tank installation, removal and maintenance to environmental consulting, third-party inspections, UST operator training and Veeder-Root certifications.
We’re proud to call many of New England’s premier businesses “customer” and feel honored that they trust us with bigger, more complex challenges every day.
Building A Future On Legacy of Service
Even as CommTank continues to grow, our dedication to service remains firmly rooted in our origins as a family-owned and operated business. Many employees who helped CommTank get up and running are still with us today. With three generations of Hoags on the team, customers can be confident they’ll continue to benefit from the one-to-one attention, advanced technology and responsive, reliable service that is and always will be a CommTank hallmark.
- 1994: Kevin Hoag launches CommTank with one employee and a truck to perform oil tank removals for residential customers while grandmother, Margaret Trane, volunteers in customer service.
- 1996: CommTank sets up office in Kevin’s Wakefield home and hires a sales/project manager to join team including wife Christine, bookkeeper, and her parents, Gus and Lillian D’Amico, who deliver permits.
- 2001: CommTank moves to 60,000-square-foot, present-day headquarters at 84 New Salem Street, Wakefield.
- 2003: After emergency oil-spill clean-up at Beachmont School in Revere, CommTank begins offering environmental services in air quality monitoring and building ventilation.
- 2004: Brother, Dan Hoag, joins CommTank as project manager;
- 2004: Successful removal of 8 underground storage tanks (USTs) for Somerville Housing Authority fuels growth spurt that leads to 9 new hires and move to storefront office.
- 2005: Dan Hoag, Sr joins sales and marketing staff.
- 2008: CommTank builds first field-erected tank for Sprint.
- 2011: American Petroleum Institute certifies CommTank in tank inspections.
- 2012: CommTank adds third-party Inspections, UST operator training, and Veeder-Root certifications to service offerings.
- 2014: CommTank adds an office in Bedford, New Hampshire and celebrates its 20th Anniversary
- 2016: Luis Diaz is named Vice President
- 2017: Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV) is added for potable water storage tank inspections
- 2018: CommTank expands gas station construction services to include canopy installations and branding
- 2019: Polyurea protective coating service is added with the major benefit of rapid cure and set times.
- 2020: CommTanks add offices in Providence, RI and Avon, CT.