Bolted Water Storage Tank Installation
Middleton, Massachusetts – Bostik Corporation entrusted CommTank to successfully install a bolted water storage tank to provide fire protection for three buildings. The property has a unique history as the first and oldest of the Bostik’s manufacturing sites across the U.S.
CommTank recommended and performed bolted tank construction of an NFPA-22 single wall insulated fire protection aboveground storage tank (AST) designed to store clear water.
A pump station was installed as a generator to pressurize the 8-inch concrete lined steel piping. This equipment is part of any installation of bolted steel water tanks.
Before the water tank foundation was set in place to support the bolted water storage vessel, geotechnical soil testing was required. CommTank technicians reviewed the soil evaluation reports to ensure the allowable bearing capacity for bolted storage tanks of 3000 psf static / 4500 psf dynamic.
Soil Boring Log
The width size range of the concrete tank ring foundation was constructed to be approximately 23-24", instead of the recommended 18". This size allowed our CommTank crews more room to accommodate for a level of error in the foundation, as we custom-built and placed the forms.
The original intended reveal of the tank ring foundation was 12" from the outside edge of the concrete ring foundation to the vessel’s shell wall. The tank shell wall was directly centered in the middle of the tank ring foundation.
Upon installation, the water storage tank was pressurized to four (4) pounds per square inch (PSI) for more than one hour to demonstrate and test the tank’s tightness.
Products and services that were not in the price and scope of this project include: hydro-static testing; obtaining water for the testing; and disposal of water used for testing.
Bolted Water Tank Equipment Installation Process
CommTank’s proven process of installing bolted water storage vessels includes diligent project set up; accurate construction of the tank ring foundation and tank center foundation; and provision and installation of bolted steel water tanks.
Installation Set Up for Bolted Storage Tanks
- Complete applications to obtain necessary permits (installation, building, trench, electrical, etc.)
- Provide power utility clearance (Dig Safe) of the property (identify underground utilities)
- Use AutoCAD technology to create a drawing detailing the upgrade of the system
- Submit the installation plans to the local fire department for approval
- Prepare Fire Protection Storage Tank Plan
Concrete Tank Ring Foundation
- Provide and install one reinforced 4000 psi concrete ring wall foundation for the proposed tank
- Provide soil compaction and concrete compressive strength testing with reports
Tank Center Foundation
- Remove and dispose of on site of approximately 350 yards of non-engineered soil from the middle of the tank ring foundation
- Provide and install one 2,500 psf compacted soil foundation for the water storage tank inside the ring wall foundation.
- Provide soil compaction testing with reports
Equipment Provision and Installation
CommTank provided and installed a 315,000-galion single wall insulated tank to these Standards:
- AWWA D1 03-09 Factory-coated Bolted Carbon Steel Tanks for Water Storage
- NFPA-22 AST Water Tanks for Private Fire Protection
- 46.15' diameter x 26.92' tall Carbon Steel Fire Protection Water Storage Tank
- Total Nominal Capacity 336,977 gallons
- Usable Volume of Approximately 318,203 gallons
- Specific Gravity of 1.0
- 12" Freeboard
- 45psf Deck Load
- 2:12 Slope Roof With Center Columns
- Supported With A Standard Deck Structure
- Importance Factor 1.5
- Site Class D
- Carbon Steel Material
- Bolted Construction
- Asphalt Impregnated Fiber Board And Polyethylene Sheeting As Required
- Two Half Couplings 1 inch
- One Half Coupling 1 inch
- One Deck Manway With Curb 24 inch
- One Exterior Ladder With Cage And Climb Prevention
- One Inlet Flange 4 inch single
- One Flange 4 inch
- Two Grounding Lugs
- One 20kW Heater
- Two Heater Stands
- Insulated 2 inch Thick Polyisocyanurate Foam With Standard Embossed Aluminum Cladding
- One Liquid Level Indicator With Gauge Board
- One Frost Free Mushroom Roof Vent 20 inch
- One Overflow Pipe With Downcomer And Flap Valve 8 inch
- Partial Guardrail
- One Temperature Switch
- Two Level Switches
- Two Shell Manways 24 inch
- One Suction Outlet With Anti-vortex 10 inch
- Weir Cone 8 inch
- Coating Thermal Bond 579 Exterior Color Cobalt Blue 4-6 mils
- Coating Thermal Bond 579 Interior Color White 5-7 mils
- Coating Thermal Bond 579 Topcoat Color Cobalt Blue 3-4 mils
For more information about CommTank’s bolted water storage tank installation and bolted tank repair services, call us at 1-800-628-8260.