City of Nashua Fuel Tank Cleaning and Inspection Service
CommTank provided a storage tank cleaning and inspection service for a 10,000-gallon aboveground storage tank (AST), containing diesel fuel, at the Four Hills Landfill in Nashua, NH. The City of Nashua required an inspection performed in accordance with the STI SP001 standard. Prior to the inspection the fuel was pumped out, stored in a temporary AST, and then polished before being returned to the tank.
Fuel Tank Pumpout, Cleaning and Internal Inspection
- Provided a written health and safety plan
- Provided a confined space entry permit per D-129 CFR 1910.146
- Provided retrieval system, ventilation equipment, supplied air system, communication equipment, personal protective equipment (PPE), lighting, safety barriers, ladders, etc.
- Removed manway
- Pumped out approximately 3,000 gallons of diesel fuel from AST using filtration system and placed into temporary AST
- Performed pre-entry testing
- Purged gases from the tank and tested for flammable vapors in accordance with NFPA and all other applicable regulations
- Removed and disposed of non-pumpable tank bottoms
- Entered tank and cleaned inner tank walls with absorption pads to remove residual fluids
- Performed a visual inspection
- Performed an ultrasonic steel thickness test using a GE Panametrics Model 37DPIUS Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge
- Re-installed manway, complete with new seal
- Performed meter calibration using 5-gallons of fuel
Fuel Tank External Inspection
- Performed a walk-around inspection to visually identify damage to the tank exterior
- Inspected vent piping and emergency vent
- Performed overall visual appearance inspection
- Inspected for localized defects
- Inspected piping and connections, and fittings
- Inspected supports for corrosion or any type of damage
- Inspected tank foundation for signs of settlement, cracking, pitting and spalling
- Inspected anchor bolts for distortion or significant cracking around the bolts
- Verified that the leak detection equipment was operating properly
Fuel Tank Fuel Filtering/Polishing
- Filtered and transferred usable fuel from temporary tank to the 10,000-gallon storage tank.
CommTank provided a written outcome report that included an inspection summary, recommended date for the next external inspection based on the calculated corrosion rate and a statement that the inspection was performed in accordance with the latest standards of Steel Tank Institute SP001.
Project Categories Above Ground Tank Installation | Above Ground Tank Removal | Day Tanks | Field Welded Tanks | Fuel Dispensers and Management Systems | Fuel Filtering | Fuel Tank Rentals | Gas Station Construction | Oil Spill Cleanup | Storage Tank Management Program | Tank Cleaning | Tank Component Upgrades | Tank Inspection | Tank Lining | Tank Painting and Coating | Tank Restoration | Tank Testing | Third-Party Inspection | Underground Tank Installation | Underground Tank Removal | Underground Tank Repairs and Upgrades | Veeder Root Testing and Certification