Pelletier Properties UST Removal
CommTank provided this removal service for a 500-gallon underground storage tank (UST) at 251 Mason Road Townsend, Ma. Pelletier Properties LLC was working at this bank owned property and discovered a 500-gallon UST. The tank needed to be pumped out immediately. The contractor obtained all the permitting and needed 6" of sludge/oil removed from the tank. The tank was intact when it was pulled from the ground and no holes or leaks were found.
UST Removal Steps
- Obtain necessary permits (tank removal permit, trench permit, etc.)
- Provide Dig Safe utility clearance of property (identify underground utilities)
- Prepare a confined space entry permit and a site-specific health and safety plan
- Remove and dispose of two (2) bushes located on top of the UST
- Excavate soil located on top of the UST
- Create a manway into the UST
- Remove all pumpable contents and tank bottoms
- Measure explosive gases with a 4-gas meter
- Clean the inside of the UST
- Prepare tank for fire department inspection
- Field screen soil using an organic vapor meter (OVM)
- Backfill the excavation to grade with clean fill (sand & stone)
- Transport the UST and associated piping to a licensed tank yard for disposal
- Provide a UST closure report
Watch a video of the UST Removal service we provided.
Restoration was limited to backfilling to surrounding grade with clean fill, in the areas disturbed, as a result of the UST removal. No contaminated soil was encountered in the excavation. A UST closure report was provided to the customer at the end of the job.