CommTank team members use proven systems to clean aboveground and underground storage tanks of various sizes. We clean area tanks in home settings as well as tanks in large fuel distribution facilities. All tank systems are cleaned to remove built-up waste sludge, and for preventative maintenance. Our service team also performs area property fuel tank system decommissioning for gasoline stations, manufacturing facilities, public works and more.
Service inquiry feedback information from tank operators often includes complaints of slow fuel delivery. Any amount of system lag can be caused by clogged filters. One or more tank filters can easily be replaced by trained people; however, a faulty filter suggests that existing fuel in tanks is contaminated. Replacing all system filters is a temporary fix until the next delivery. When the amount of oil in the tank is replenished, waste sediment mixes in with the new fuel. The contaminated fuel is then pumped through the filter system, causing more filter property damage issues. CommTank’s service of routine or periodic tank cleaning helps tank owners to easily avoid this unnecessary cycle.
Tank cleaning for is an environmentally friendly process that will preserve your tank’s sustainability long term. One of the best ways to prevent future problems and soil contamination from your tank is to identify and reduce damaged, worn or aging tanks or system components.
CommTank’s Approach to Storage Tank Cleaning
- Prepare a confined space entry permit and health & safety plan
- Open the manways located on top of the storage tank
- Transfer usable fuel to existing online tank or trucks standing by
- Purge gases from the tank and test for flammable vapors in accordance with NFPA and all other applicable regulations
- Enter the tank, remove tank bottom sludge with a vacuum truck, and manually clean inner-tank walls
- Transport and dispose non-pumpable tank bottoms
- Remove residual waste fluids by wiping inner walls with absorption pads
- Avoid using water to wash tanks as additional waste is created that is costly to dispose of
- Perform visual inspection and photograph interior of tank, make note of signs of damage, wear to the tank or signs of aging components
- Pump re-usable fuel back into tanks
- Re-install manways
- Remaining sludge and non-reusable fuel is transported to a licensed recycling facility for proper disposal
In addition to fuel tanks, CommTank provides cleaning of tanks used in the food and chemical industries. We use either manual cleaning or water jet depending on the size of access points to the tank. CommTank also provides cleaning services for vessels and totes. When we cannot physically enter a tank to clean it we use steam cleaner pressure washers, which clean 50% faster than cold-water pressure washers. Our chemical tank cleaning service using water jets is efficient, and safer than subjecting workers to confined spaces with caustic chemicals.
Tank Cleaning Services for:
- Petroleum Storage Tanks
- Chemical Storage Tanks
- Marine Fuel Tanks
- Fire Suppression Tanks
- Linen Wash Tanks
- Food Storage Tanks
- Potable Water Tanks
Tank cleaning can also be part of a vertical tank inspection. Customers request this service because they have no way to visually inspect the exterior of the tank’s bottom. In order to access the base of the tank we will remove the contents of the tank, clean any residue or sediment, and then measure the tank bottom thickness using an ultrasonic test device. Call us to discuss your site-specific requirements. All tank cleaning services are performed to API 653 or STI SP001 tank inspection standards.
For examples of our work please see the tank cleaning projects section of our website.
Contact CommTank today for expert tank cleaning services in Massachusetts and New Hampshire: 1-800-628-8260